Home Sports Australia Swans players investigated over alleged sexual assault

Swans players investigated over alleged sexual assault

3
0

Source :- THE AGE NEWS

Police are investigating an alleged sexual assault involving Sydney Swans players in Melbourne.

“The Sydney Swans can confirm several players were involved in an alleged incident in Melbourne last night,” the club confirmed in a statement on Monday.

The Swans were in Melbourne for their round 23 clash with Essendon.Getty Images

“The Swans have notified the AFL and relevant authorities and cannot provide further comment at this stage.”

The Swans were staying at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne, near the MCG. They defeated Essendon by 36 points at the MCG earlier on Sunday evening.

Police with clipboards and camera equipment were reportedly seen in the lobby of the hotel on Monday morning. By early afternoon there was no sign of Swans players or officials, and police appeared to have left the venue.

Hotel staff would not comment.

The Pullman in East Melbourne.pullmanonthepark.com.au

Victoria Police confirmed they were “investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on August 17”.

“The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning,” it said in a statement.

“The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing.”

The AFL confirmed the league had been notified by the Swans and said the matter rested with police.

In cases such as this, the AFL’s integrity unit defers to police.

More to come.

Sam McClureSam McClure is an award-winning AFL journalist and broadcaster.Connect via X or email.