Home NATIONAL NEWS Trump says no Iran talks, Tehran keeps Hormuz shut to shipping

Trump says no Iran talks, Tehran keeps Hormuz shut to shipping

4
0

Source : INDIA TODAY NEWS

US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that no talks were taking place with Iran and insisted that the Strait of Hormuz remained open, contradicting Tehran’s claim that the crucial waterway was still closed to shipping.

The conflicting statements came a day after a temporary ceasefire agreement expired, raising fresh concerns that efforts to end the nearly six-month conflict could collapse. Oil prices rose again on Tuesday, while stock markets weakened and borrowing costs for major economies, including the US, climbed to multi-decade highs amid concerns over the crisis’ long-term economic impact.

advertisement

NO TALKS UNDER WAY, TRUMP SAYS

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

He also said the US naval blockade remained in force and claimed that the Strait of Hormuz was “open and operating”, adding that all water mines had either been removed or detonated.

Trump’s comments contradicted an upbeat assessment by his son-in-law and special envoy Jared Kushner on Monday that negotiations with Iran were still continuing and were “probably more robust” than ever.

The conflict began with joint US-Israeli strikes on Iran and has since settled into a standoff, with Tehran continuing to threaten shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. Washington has warned that it could resume attacks if diplomatic efforts fail to produce a long-term settlement.

Preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon remains one of Washington’s key objectives. However, experts say this could be difficult without removing enriched uranium believed to remain buried at sites previously targeted by US strikes.

SHIPPING DISRUPTIONS RAISE FRESH CONCERNS

Despite Trump’s assertion that conditions in the Gulf were improving, countries continued to report incidents affecting maritime traffic.

The United Arab Emirates said its defence ministry had detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran, marking the first such reported incident since a May 4 strike on Fujairah port. The UAE later said its assessment indicated that the missiles were targeting maritime traffic, although both fell into the sea.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei rejected the UAE’s claims as “baseless”.

The UAE Foreign Ministry also announced that it had suspended all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice, citing regional escalation that it said threatened regional and international peace and security.

Direct cargo shipping between the UAE and Iran had resumed only in late June through Dubai’s Jebel Ali Port after being suspended in early March.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations also reported that a vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while sailing through the Strait of Hormuz. The incident caused damage to the engine room and resulted in a crew casualty, while the Omani Coast Guard assisted the remaining crew.

IRAN SAYS HORMUZ WILL REMAIN CLOSED

Preliminary shipping data showed that crossings through the Strait of Hormuz remained in single digits on Monday, highlighting the continued disruption despite Trump’s assertion that the waterway was operating normally.

advertisement

Top Iranian negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said the strait would remain closed until Washington met conditions outlined in an interim agreement signed with Iran in June.

The demands include an end to the US blockade of Iranian ports, the lifting of oil sanctions, the release of frozen Iranian assets and an end to US threats and military operations.

A memorandum of understanding signed on June 17 had provided a 60-day period for negotiations on a broader agreement covering Iran’s nuclear programme and US sanctions. The period expired on Monday, with Trump saying he had no plans to extend it.

The interim agreement had called for the “immediate and permanent termination of military operations on all fronts”, but it unravelled over a dispute concerning control of the Strait of Hormuz.

TEHRAN SAYS IT REMAINS OPEN TO DIALOGUE

Iranian officials maintained that Tehran remained open to negotiations despite the growing military and economic pressure.

Mohammad Mokhber, an adviser to Iran’s supreme leader, said Iran was willing to engage in dialogue with Washington but would not equate negotiations with surrender, according to the semi-official Fars news agency.

advertisement

He said military pressure and sanctions would not weaken Iran’s resolve and stressed that Tehran would defend its security, dignity and allies while not seeking war.

At the same time, Iranian leaders are concerned that additional economic pressure could deepen hardship, trigger renewed unrest and further weaken the Islamic Republic’s legitimacy, according to Iranian officials.

Thousands of people have been killed in the conflict, primarily in Iran and Lebanon. Iran has also targeted US military bases and infrastructure in countries including Oman, Jordan, Kuwait, Israel, the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

OIL PRICES RISE AS CONFLICT DRAGS ON

The prolonged crisis has continued to weigh heavily on global energy markets.

Benchmark Brent crude futures surged during the conflict to as high as $126 a barrel, around 75% above pre-war levels. Brent settled 20 cents higher on Tuesday at just above $91 a barrel.

A US administration official also warned that Washington could further intensify economic pressure on Tehran following multiple rounds of sanctions.

“There are many levers the president can crank harder in the weeks and months ahead,” the official said.

– Ends

Published By:

Zafar Zaidi

Published On:

Aug 19, 2026 05:11 IST

SOURCE :- TIMES OF INDIA