Home Entertainment Australia Meghan Markle’s acting ambitions said to one of driving forces behind UK...

Meghan Markle’s acting ambitions said to one of driving forces behind UK return

4
0

Source : PERTHNOW NEWS

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex’s acting ambitions are said to be one of the driving forces behind her and her husband Prince Harry’s decision to return to the UK.

The mother-of-two, 45, is said to be in talks for her biggest acting comeback since Suits with a possible role in Guy Ritchie’s Netflix crime hit The Gentlemen, with reports of the apparent negotiations emerging after news broke last week she and her family are preparing to return to Britain in September.

Meghan is reportedly discussing joining a potential third season of the British gangster comedy-drama, although it’s also said no contract has been signed and Netflix has yet to officially renew the show for another season.

The talks, reported by The Sun, emerge as Meghan and Prince Harry, 41, prepare to relocate to Britain with Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, after six years based in California.

The Sun reported Meghan could play a “temptress” in the series, with an insider telling the publication: “The gossip in TV circles is that Meghan could play the ultimate temptress, who puts the cat among the pigeons by seducing an aristocrat.

“The Gentlemen would be perfect for her. It’s a big budget, glossy production and quintessentially British. And because it is on Netflix that gives it a huge global audience.

“In fact, it is one of the streaming giant’s biggest hits of recent years.

“It would see her star opposite Theo James, who plays Eddie Horniman, the 13th Duke of Halstead, and is a frontrunner to be the new James Bond.

“Everything about the project screams quality, but it is one with a bit of an edge too.”

However, other reports have stressed Meghan’s proposed character has not been identified.

Variety reported discussions were at a very early stage and said there was no contract in place, while The Guardian reported her role remained unknown.

Guy Ritchie created The Gentlemen as a spin-off from his 2019 film of the same name.

Its first season arrived in 2024, with Theo James playing Eddie Horniman, an aristocratic former soldier who inherits his family estate and discovers it contains a lucrative cannabis operation.

Kaya Scodelario plays criminal operator Susie Glass, while the cast also includes Vinnie Jones, Daniel Ings and Joely Richardson.

The second season will arrive on Netflix on September 3, with Eddie and Susie attempting to expand their criminal enterprise internationally.

A third season has not yet received an official green light.

The potential role would represent a major return to the profession which first made Meghan famous. She became best known as paralegal Rachel Zane in the US legal drama Suits, appearing alongside Patrick J. Adams and Gabriel Macht.

Meghan left the series before marrying Harry in 2018.

She subsequently told Variety in 2022 she was “done” with acting, but has since returned to the screen with a cameo in the comedy Close Personal Friends.

The reported Gentlemen talks also extend Meghan’s long-running relationship with Netflix.

Her and Harry’s Archewell Productions has produced projects for the streamer including their autobiographical documentary series Harry and Meghan, the polo documentary Polo and Meghan’s lifestyle series With Love, Meghan.

Their original exclusive Netflix agreement was subsequently replaced with a first-look arrangement.

Meghan is also continuing to develop her lifestyle business As Ever following the Sussexes’ decision to return to Britain.

The couple will retain their homes in California and Portugal and will not return as working members of the royal family.