Home Latest Australia Women hiding and fearful over Swans scandal: lawyers

Women hiding and fearful over Swans scandal: lawyers

4
0

Source : Perth Now news

Three women allegedly at the centre of the Sydney Swans sexual assault scandal remain fearful and in hiding as the saga drags on.

Potential civil claims are in train, with two legal firms engaged by the women as Sex Crimes Squad detectives continue to investigate the matter.

Five Swans players, including elite players Isaac Heeney and Chad Warner, have also been suspended for the remainder of the AFL season for breaching the club’s standards on drinking and staying out late.

However none have been arrested or charged and significant detail about the allegations and their links to the team is unknown.

It’s understood the women joined players at East Melbourne’s Pullman Hotel in the hours after the Swans’ win over Essendon last Sunday night.

Lawyers for them meanwhile say they are distressed and frightened.

One of the trio, who has engaged personal injury specialists Slater and Gordon, was navigating an “incredibly traumatic experience”, according to senior attorney Jackson Pannam.

He says the firm has been asked to determine whether the woman, who has put multiple sexual assault allegations to police, has grounds to file a civil claim.

”Everyone deserves to be safe going about their life, at home, at work and in public spaces without risk of being assaulted or harmed,” he said.

Mr Pannam said the woman had contacted police immediately after the alleged assaults and that her world had been turned upside down.

”We will be putting all of the relevant parties on notice in due course,” Mr Pannam said.

Another law firm is also reportedly helping two of the women prepare to launch action in the Victorian Supreme Court.

”We are currently investigating the circumstances and preparing to commence legal proceedings against the club and potentially the individuals involved,” Carbone Lawyers partner Manny Carbone told The Age on Friday.

Fellow lawyer John Karantzis said the two women he represented were suffering severe stress and anxiety and feared for their lives after being subjected to “abhorrent actions”.

“There’s a lot of interest in this case and they are literally in hiding and they are suffering,” he told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

Mr Karantzi claimed more than five men were in the room at the Pullman but refused to comment when asked if coaches were present.

“More than five men and it’s alleged there were even a few leaders in that room,” he said.

The Swans have “categorically” stated none of their staff were in the hotel room and are not involved in the investigation.

A potential civil claim would be separate to any criminal proceedings.

The AFL’s integrity unit is also investigating.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028