Home Latest Australia Police ask for CCTV as Swans players investigated over alleged sexual assault

Police ask for CCTV as Swans players investigated over alleged sexual assault

3
0

Source :  the age

Police have asked to review CCTV footage from the Pullman East Melbourne as part of their investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving several Sydney AFL players.

Plain clothes officers went inside hotel rooms and left the venue with a number of items in evidence bags, according to a witness to the police visit. They also asked for footage from cameras that cover public areas of the hotel such as the lobby, stairs and lifts.

The Swans have been left “shocked and disappointed” amid the investigation, which focuses on the actions of a group of players in the early hours of Monday morning.

The team was staying at the Pullman after their victory over Essendon at the nearby MCG.

Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich briefly fronted media in Sydney on Monday to address the alleged incident.

“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing. It’s safe to say that we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation,” Pavlich said.

Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich fronts the media on Monday.Sitthixay Ditthavong

“We understand the level of interest in the matter. There’s going to be lots of speculation, but given it’s a police matter right now, that is all that we can say.”

One photo being shared in chat groups, showing a woman with damaged teeth, does not relate to the incident. It was published by tabloid news sites in the UK earlier this year, months before the incident.

Police with clipboards and camera equipment were seen in the lobby of the hotel on Monday morning.

Pullman hotel staff would not comment.

Victoria Police confirmed they were “investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on August 17”.

“The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning,” it said in a statement.

“The exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing.”

Swans board member and club great Michael O’Loughlin was spotted at Sydney’s domestic airport on Monday but declined to shed further light on the matter when approached for comment.

The Pullman hotel in East Melbourne. Simon Schluter

“No, we’ll wait and see what the findings are, I don’t know,” O’Loughlin said.

Earlier on Monday the Swans released a statement.

“The Sydney Swans can confirm several players were involved in an alleged incident in Melbourne last night,” the club confirmed in a statement on Monday.

“The Swans have notified the AFL and relevant authorities and cannot provide further comment at this stage.”

The AFL confirmed the league had been notified by the Swans and said the matter rested with police.

In cases such as this, the AFL’s integrity unit defers to police.

The Swans are second on the ladder and well-placed to contend for the premiership with 17 wins, with one home-and-away round left before finals.

Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.

Sam McClureSam McClure is an award-winning AFL journalist and broadcaster.Connect via X or email.