Home Latest Australia Alan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ has emotional outburst during cross-examination...

Alan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ has emotional outburst during cross-examination after suggestions of fabricating allegations as indecent assault, sexual touching trial continues

2
0

Source :  the age

Warning: Graphic content

Hello and welcome to our live coverage of day 10 of Alan Jones’ criminal trial on charges of indecent assault and sexual touching. My colleague Perry Duffin will be bringing you the latest from the courtroom today.

The NSW Local Court in Sydney’s historic Downing Centre court building will hear further evidence from complainant “C”, the second of six men who have accused the former 2GB host of unwanted touching and kissing over a 20-year period.

Alan Jones outside the Downing Centre Local Court on Tuesday.Steven Siewert

Jones denies the claims and is entitled to the presumption of innocence.

Jones is charged with indecently assaulting “C” eight times over a five-month period by touching and kissing him without his consent.

“C” told the court yesterday that he broke down sobbing when he told then-2GB host Ray Hadley about the alleged assaults.

He said last week that he told Jones “no” repeatedly before the then 2GB host kissed him for the first time in the lift of the broadcaster’s harbourside apartment, but the “extraordinary” power imbalance stopped him speaking out as the alleged assaults continued.

He also told the court that Jones touched him under the table on the penis over his clothing at a lunch in Sydney in front of other guests. He said one guest asked him after the lunch if he had “copped a feel”, a remark that left him “deeply embarrassed”.

The Crown alleges that Jones indecently assaulted or sexually touched six men without their consent between 2003 and 2020, and is seeking to prove 22 charges against him.

Jones’ barrister, Gabrielle Bashir, SC, said during her opening address to the court that the credibility and reliability of the complainants’ evidence would be tested.

Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) or the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491.

Complainant “C” is being asked about veteran investigative journalist Chris Masters’ book, Jonestown: The Power and the Myth of Alan Jones.

It was published in 2006. “I was certainly aware of the book being released,” “C” told the court.

Jones barrister, Gabrielle Bashir, SC, puts to him that he was aware of “rumours and innuendos from the book”.

Judge Glenn Walsh says: “I think the question is, are you aware of the contents generally of the book and the rumours.”

“Yes,” “C” replied.

The cross-examination has moved on to a statement given to police by “C” in 2024.

Jones’ barrister, Gabrielle Bashir, SC, is asking “C” about the reference in the statement to an alleged incident where the complainant says Jones touched him under the table at a lunch event.

He agrees that he did not know the name of the restaurant and could not recall the exact location at the time. He said he recalls using a map to “jog my memory”.

There is a non-publication order over a series of questions in court. We will have more from the hearing when the trial moves on to another issue.

Warning: Graphic content

Alan Jones maintains that the alleged physical acts in this case did not occur at all rather than that the complainants consented to them.

At one point during the cross-examination, Jones’ barrister, Gabrielle Bashir, SC, put to “C” that a message he sent to Jones that referred to the complainant’s penis was “entirely inconsistent with the defendant having touched [you] … without your consent”.

“C” asked if Bashir was suggesting he consented to Jones touching his penis while he drove, and she replied that she was putting to him that he “never touched your penis”.

“That’s not true, he did,” “C” replied.

The hearing has resumed after lunch and the cross-examination of “C” by Jones’ barrister, Gabrielle Bashir, SC, is still under way. He has been in the witness box since Friday.

Warning: Graphic content

While the court takes a break for lunch, here are the key parts of this morning’s evidence.

As anticipated, complainant “C” has been cross-examined at length by Alan Jones’ barrister, Gabrielle Bashir, SC, about a series of text messages and other communications he had with Jones.

Those messages were sent after “C” alleges the then-2GB host had touched him inappropriately.

  • Just before the break “C”, responded angrily to a question by Bashir about whether he hated reading the messages because they revealed his claims against Jones were a fabrication. “No, because I don’t like the references to him talking about my c— … I don’t like hearing a bloke, 40 years older, writing to a straight guy, wanting to play with his penis. Get real,” “C” burst out.
  • He has told the court that he felt he had to respond in this way to keep Jones on side. “These messages are consistent with someone who had been groomed for 10 years on the way to talk to him,” “C” said. “I was a junior staffer, 40 years younger than him.”
  • Earlier this morning, “C” told the court that the messages were “a way of currying favour”.
  • He agreed with Bashir that he had instigated some of the contact, rather than simply replying to messages from Jones.
  • He told the court he wrote a friendly message to Jones after the broadcaster met with him and his new boss at Jones’ luxury harbourside apartment “because … it was important [professionally that] I maintain that relationship with Alan”. He said that he felt anxious and uncomfortable being back in Jones’ apartment but “I never would have been able to write that to him”.

Warning: Graphic content

Complainant “C” has emotionally struck out at Alan Jones while under cross-examination by the broadcaster’s lawyers, who have suggested more than a dozen times that he lied about being touched on the penis.

“C”, a former staffer to Jones, was questioned why he thanked Alan Jones in his wedding speech if the veteran broadcaster had abused him.

Alan Jones entering the Downing Centre court complex on Tuesday.Steven Siewert

Complainant “C” has told the court that his text messages to Jones did not reflect his feelings but were “consistent with someone who had been groomed … on the way to talk to him”.

Much of the cross-examination of “C” this morning has centred on messages he sent to Jones that he has agreed were flirtatious.

“I felt I had to talk to him in that way. But that’s not how I actually felt,” “C” said.

“These messages are consistent with someone who had been groomed for 10 years on the way to talk to him,” “C” said. “I was a junior staffer, 40 years younger than him.”

“C” was also asked during cross-examination about offering Jones a lift after the then-broadcaster had allegedly touched and kissed “C” against his wishes.

Complainant “C” has given emotional evidence that he believed he was offered a job by another media figure as a way to get him away from Alan Jones.

“C” was cross-examined this morning about whether he disclosed his allegations about Jones to a supervisor. “Definitely not,” “C” said.

The court heard “C” was offered a position working for another media figure.

“I felt he was getting me out of there, that’s what he was doing for me,” “C” told the court, as he became emotional.

Complainant “C” was taken to his comments to a third party about Alan Jones. In that context, he did not make any allegations about the former 2GB host.

“You said nice things about Alan Jones,” defence barrister Gabrielle Bashir, SC, said. “Yes,” “C” replied.

She put to him that he was being honest in that conversation. “Absolutely not,” he replied.

“C” said he “didn’t tell anyone except friends and family” about Jones until about seven years ago.

“I didn’t want to disclose to [the third party], no offence to him, he’s a good guy,” he said.