Source : Perth Now news
Members of a Christian sect should be investigated over claims it attempted to disrupt the 2025 federal election, ministers say.
A parliamentary inquiry will probe the Exclusive Brethren on Friday over claims it paid far-right activists to disrupt appearances of the Albanese government on the campaign trail.
The inquiry is also examining wider efforts by the Exclusive Brethren during the election as part of campaigning for the coalition.
Members of the sect normally do not vote.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said the allegations were chilling.
“No one should underestimate the significance of a democracy as cherished as ours, shifting to a pathway where physical intimidation gets paid for because of your political views,” he told reporters in Canberra.
“We need to draw a line under this, we need to make sure that if this is what has happened in the 2025 election, that it is an aberration that is rejected by everybody today.
“There is too much at stake.”
Mr Burke said the allegations were more alarming in the context of rising security threats levelled at federal politicians.
“The sharpest escalation I’ve seen in terms of the risk is where that physical intimidation might become something that is a fee for service,” he said.
The brethren’s director Lloyd Grimshaw said the church had been subjected to “extraordinary attacks”.
He said while members of the sect participated in the election, they did not do so of their own volition.
“They did this under their own steam … and under their own name. Not my church’s,” he told the inquiry.
“But some people did get involved and they brought friends.”
Mr Grimshaw disputed claims the church donated to or organised donations for political parties.
“Neither my church nor any of its directors including me, made any reportable donations to anyone,” he said.
“We agree reform is needed to help prevent aggressive conduct, deliberate obstruction, and intimidating behaviour at electoral booths.
“We call on the AEC to issue guidance making it explicitly clear that it is unacceptable for any volunteers to be singled out, insulted, or discriminated against based on their religion.”
Federal minister Mark Butler said the claims of disruption by sect members could set a dangerous precedent.
“Everyone understands this could get quite dangerous if random people are being paid to go in and create trouble,” he told ABC Radio.
“It doesn’t take much imagination to think about this becoming really quite dangerous.”
Coalition frontbencher Michael McCormack also called for the investigation into the claims.
“Whether it’s the Plymouth Brethren or unions or whoever, they have a duty of care and a level of respect that they should bring to that parliamentary procedure and democratic procedure. That is not happening at the moment,” he told ABC Radio.
“It shouldn’t happen (from) anybody. It shouldn’t happen from any side of politics. It shouldn’t happen full stop.”




