Home Latest Australia ‘Grub’: Alan Jones blasted by alleged groping victim

‘Grub’: Alan Jones blasted by alleged groping victim

2
0

Source : Perth Now news

An alleged victim of Alan Jones used graphic language when confiding in loved ones and radio station host Ray Hadley about his claims.

The man detailed his own “Me Too” moment as he gave evidence about the 85-year-old former ruler of the airwaves on Monday.

Six men allege Jones kissed, groped or subjected them to sexual misconduct between 2003 and 2020 across Sydney and the NSW Southern Highlands.

Jones has pleaded not guilty to 22 charges of indecent assault and sexual touching without consent.

Eight charges relate to a former radio station employee, who claimed Jones kissed him in a lift at his home and workplace and groped him in a car and at an event.

The man, who was 18 years old when he met Jones, returned to the witness box in a NSW Local Court on Monday for a second day of testimony.

He first confided in friends about two years after the alleged indecent assaults, saying he recalled using vulgar language to describe Jones.

“(I said) he was a grub,” the former radio station staffer told the court.

“(I told them) ‘Alan used to grab me on the cock’.”

He used similarly strong terms when he told former radio host Ray Hadley he had been subjected to unwanted kisses and groping by Jones more than a decade after the alleged indecent assaults.

“I just broke down sobbing,” the former radio staffer said emotionally.

“I said ‘he’s a fucking c***’.

“It was the first time I’d ever broken down talking about it.”

He said he refused Hadley’s offer to go to police together, instead swearing the 2GB mornings host to secrecy.

“I didn’t want anyone to know,” he told the court.

The former radio staffer was prompted to disclose the alleged indecent assaults to a family member during a discussion about Harvey Weinstein and the “Me Too” movement.

“I remember him making a comment about people coming forward and making claims about high-profile people for money … to make a name for themselves,” he said.

“I said ‘now is probably a good time to tell you this is what Alan Jones did to me and responses like that would stop me from saying what happened’.”

The former radio staffer has testified he felt violated by Jones’s uninvited advances and regretted “every day” that he hadn’t fought back or said no more loudly.

He told the court he felt he had to placate the longtime shock jock by responding to his “romantic, intimate” text messages because it was important personally and professionally to remain on good terms.

“These things had happened with Alan and I didn’t want anyone to know,” the former radio station staffer said.

“In many ways I wanted to keep him on side.

“He was very, very important … his show was critical in setting agendas.”

Asked whether he had any sexual interest in Jones, he retorted emphatically.

“Absolutely not.”

Jones’s barrister has accused the former staffer of rewriting his history with the former radio host, promising to test his credibility and reliability during her cross-examination.

Her client has denied all of the allegations against him, which are said to have occurred during the latter part of his 35-year broadcasting career, when he dominated Sydney’s airwaves.

He also broadcast to a national audience for years as a regular commentator on Nine’s Today show and a host of a political discussion show on Sky News.

Jones’s career history also includes a teaching career, a successful stint as the coach of the national rugby union side, the Wallabies, and a failed tilt at politics.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028