Source : the age
A Perth father has died after being allegedly attacked by a group of Australians while on holiday in Bali.
Paul Dougan, from Gosnells, underwent three surgeries, including to have his spleen removed, after the attack 10 days ago.
He was on a trip with friends when he was allegedly assaulted at One Tribe bar in Kuta by a group of strangers, believed to be Australian, after his friends had left to go home.
“To have this happen to him, of all people, is just devastating,” friend David Coughtrie told 9News Perth.
“He’s not the kind of guy to go looking for that sort of trouble.
“He’d grabbed his partner and said, ‘Let’s get out of here’. As he stood up he was confronted by a person that said, ‘What did you say?’ and pretty much didn’t wait for an answer and just struck him.”
Dougan’s injuries included 10 broken ribs and severe internal bleeding.
His family rushed to Bali to be with him and on Wednesday his son Liam launched a GoFundMe page to help pay for mounting medical costs.
But as donations started pouring in, Dougan lost his battle while in intensive care.
Liam posted to social media saying, “it wasn’t meant to be this way Dad”, adding, “I will love and remember you for the rest of my life and I will continue to make you proud.
“I am shattered, lost, heartbroken and confused but grateful I ever got to call you my Dad,” the post, made on Thursday evening, read.
Liam had earlier made a video explaining what had happened and how Indonesian police were in the process of trying to track down those responsible.
“It looks to be a group of four of the suspects that we’ve got and [they were] beating him heavily while on the floor,” he said.
On the fundraising page, Liam wrote his father was “brutally assaulted by a group of Australians who are yet to be identified”.
“They beat and kicked him multiple times putting him in a life-threatening condition,” it read.
“From this Paul suffered internal bleeding and 10 broken ribs, has undergone three major surgeries, had his spleen removed, required four blood transfusions, and currently has drains in both his lungs and abdomen as a result of the internal injuries and bleeding from the attack.
“He has now been in ICU for 10 days and remains sedated following his third surgery.”
On Thursday evening the fundraiser had received more than $45,000 in donations.
With 9News Perth



