Home Sports Australia Sydney Swans apologises to AFLW team amid player sex scandal allegations

Sydney Swans apologises to AFLW team amid player sex scandal allegations

2
0

Source :- PERTH NOW NEWS

The Swans have continued efforts to shake the turmoil surrounding the club amid an alleged sex scandal, issuing a public letter apologising to its AFLW group.

Swans stars Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner were embroiled in a Victoria Police investigation after allegations of a sexual assault at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel in the early hours of Monday.

No-one has been arrested and no charges have been laid.

However, the players have been stood down for the rest of the season for breaching club standards by drinking late into the night and bringing women to the hotel.

The Herald Sun reported the players had taken “exotic dancers” up to a room for “lap dances” before a commotion erupted.

Pavlich took the opportunity to apologise to the club’s AFLW side. NewsWire / Nadir Kinani Credit: News Corp Australia

The Swans had earlier defeated Essendon at the MCG on Sunday.

After the players released their own combined statement on Wednesday night, the club released a letter, signed by chairman Andrew Pridham and CEO Matthew Pavlich in which they said they are “committed to doing the work required to uphold the values, standards and culture”.

“First and foremost, we would like to offer a sincere apology for the distress this incident has caused the wider community, our members, supporters, commercial partners, Academy families, staff members, athletes, their partners and families,” their Thursday afternoon statement said.

“Our thoughts remain with everyone affected, particularly the women involved. All women deserve to feel safe and respected.

The pair also addressed media yesterday at press conference in Sydney. Picture: NewsWire/ Gaye Gerard.
The pair also addressed media yesterday at press conference in Sydney. NewsWire/ Gaye Gerard. Credit: News Corp Australia

“We understand and share the hurt that many of you will be feeling. To say we are disappointed is an understatement.

“The sanctions and decisive action we have taken demonstrate the seriousness with which we have treated this matter. Our focus is on doing what we believe is right and upholding the standards expected of everyone who represents our Club.

“We also want to acknowledge the impact this has had on the entire community, including our AFLW players, staff and all people impacted, who have our continued support and care. Our AFLW team’s first win on Sunday was a great start to the 2026 season, and it is deeply regrettable that their success has been overshadowed by these events.

“As a Club, we are also looking ahead to our first AFLW home game this Sunday, a historic double-header at the SCG.

Pavlich and the board stood the players down for the remainder of the 2026 season. Picture: NewsWire/ Gaye Gerard.
Pavlich and the board stood the players down for the remainder of the 2026 season. NewsWire/ Gaye Gerard. Credit: News Corp Australia

“This is only the second time in the AFLW team’s history that our athletes have played for Premiership points at our spiritual home.

“It’s a significant moment for our athletes who have worked so hard. We encourage our members and fans to support the team and give them the recognition they deserve as we aim to set a record for the biggest Sydney Swans AFLW crowd in Sydney.

“We know that moving forward as a Club will take time. Every member of our community will process this in their own way, and we do not take your trust or support for granted.

“We are committed to doing the work required to uphold the values, standards and culture we expect of everyone at the Sydney Swans.