Source :- PERTH NOW NEWS
Sydney Swans fans are preparing for an emotionally charged afternoon at the SCG, with some supporters still considering walking out after the AFLW side’s historic clash before the men’s team takes the field.
The Swans women will take on Essendon at 1.05pm (AEST) on Sunday, before the men’s side faces North Melbourne at 4.05pm in its final home game of the regular season.
But the unprecedented double-header comes after a turbulent week for the club, with Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon stood down for the remainder of the season over breaches of club standards.
A separate police investigation into an alleged sexual assault is also continuing. Police have not made any arrests or laid charges.
This masthead is not suggesting the players are guilty of any wrongdoing, just that they are assisting police with enquiries.
The scandal has left supporters divided over whether they can bring themselves to stay for the men’s match.
Swans fan Lulu Clarke told ABC News she had initially planned to attend the men’s game before the scandal broke.
“And then the news broke on Monday and I thought, ‘Oh, I’m not going to that AFL game anymore.’
“There’s no way I can go and support the men’s AFL team, even if those five players aren’t on the field; it’s not something I can do,” she said.

Ms Clarke later changed her plans after learning about the significance of Sunday’s AFLW match.
“I decided that I’m just going to go to the women’s instead of the men’s, and do whatever I can to support them because they don’t deserve to be overshadowed.”
The possibility of a walkout has been discussed heavily among the Swans faithful, although there are signs some supporters who initially planned to leave are reconsidering.
Madison Clarke, co-host of the True Blood Sydney Swans fan podcast, says the suggestion of a walkout was not necessarily representative of the club’s broader supporter base.
“I think there’s a mainstream sentiment that is suggesting there may be a walkout,” he said.
“We think all feelings on this matter, because it’s a complex matter, we feel that all feelings are valid, broadly.”
“But the overarching theme should be that while there are five guys that have seemingly dropped their standards and done the wrong thing, there’s going to be 23 guys and the AFLW team, running out on the SCG on Sunday, that haven’t done anything wrong, that need our support broadly.”

Clarke said the week had been difficult for supporters, but believed Sunday’s game could instead become a moment for fans to come together.
“It’s felt for a lot of people to be quite isolating over this week,” he said.
“I think what we’ve found therapeutic and comforting is actually having a dialogue with other Swan supporters.”
“So there’s nothing better to do, if you’re able, than to get to the SCG and be around like-minded people who know how the week’s been and know how you’re feeling and it can be a really galvanising moment.”
“So I think it’s very important that we get there.”
“Getting around the girls is absolutely paramount at this time as well.”
“Getting around the girls and getting around the guys who haven’t done anything wrong because I don’t think we should be abandoning either the AFLW team or the AFL men’s team.”
The sentiment is echoed by other supporters who say they intend to remain at the SCG for both games.
One fan, Liz, told ABC News she would attend both matches.
“Everyone is entitled to do what they feel is best for them,” she said.
“Personally, I will be there to support the club, the girls and our boys, and support them as I always have.”
“Nothing for me for the club has changed. I can’t comment on anyone else, I can only comment on how I’m feeling.”
“I will be there for the boys and the girls and I will be cheering them on, because that’s what I should be doing because we look after our club through the good times and the bad times.”
The AFLW Swans are also hoping the controversy surrounding the men’s team does not overshadow what should have been a landmark occasion for women’s football.
Swans captain Lucy McEvoy said the team had been overwhelmed by the support it had received during the week.
“The best way that we can support us in this moment is to get to the game on Sunday and hopefully break a record crowd that we once set a few years ago,” she told reporters on Friday.

The GWS Giants have even put their rivalry with Sydney aside, encouraging their members to attend the AFLW clash and support the Swans women.
For some supporters, the mood has shifted throughout the week from anger and talk of protest towards supporting the wider club.
True Blood podcast co-host David Baxter, who travelled from Melbourne for Sunday’s match, said his focus was on supporting the entire club.
“My focus in terms of being a supporter is trying to support the whole club as much as we can,” he said.
“This week, that’s putting a big focus on the AFLW. There are a lot of fabulous women within the four walls of our footy club.”
“The other 23 blokes who pull on the jumper on Sunday shouldn’t be tarnished with the same brush. They’re doing it as tough, if not harder, inside the club.”
As fans prepare to walk through the SCG gates, it remains unclear how many will stay for the men’s match, or how many will make their feelings known by leaving.
But Sunday’s double-header is now set to be about far more than football, with the Swans facing a defining moment in how their supporter base responds to one of the most turbulent weeks in the club’s history.


