Home NATIONAL NEWS Tourists attacked over wearing shorts at Pune’s Sinhagad Fort, clash caught on...

Tourists attacked over wearing shorts at Pune’s Sinhagad Fort, clash caught on cam

3
0

Source : INDIA TODAY NEWS

At least four tourists, including a woman, were assaulted at Sinhagad Fort near Pune after a group objected to their choice of clothing, Pune Rural Police said. According to police, the incidents took place between 2 pm and 5 pm on Sunday, with visitors from four separate groups allegedly being targeted. Meanwhile, videos of the clashes surfaced and went viral on social media.

advertisement

Police have registered a case against eight members of the Samast Hindu Bandhav Army, including three women, on charges related to assault, rioting, unlawful assembly and criminal intimidation. The accused have been identified as Sanket Sanjay Patil, Ashish Dilip Apar, Revan Narayan Kokte, Sayali Sujit Chavan, Ketaki Suraj Jadhav, Amar Ramchandra Shirke, Kunal Kisan Nalawade and Arya Praveen Kawade.

The matter came to light after a 39-year-old senior manager with a private company visited the fort with his family and friends. After visiting the memorial of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj’s commander, Tanaji Malusare, the group was returning when they were allegedly stopped by members of the outfit, who objected to their attire.

According to the complaint, the group questioned the tourists over them wearing “shorts” and allegedly assaulted the man. Three men reportedly slapped him, while one of the women allegedly pulled at his wife. The accused also allegedly made remarks about following “Hindu culture”.

The family later alerted a police patrol team after reaching the foothills and was directed to Haveli police station. Police subsequently learned that other visitors had allegedly faced similar attacks at the fort.

Three other tourists from separate groups, including another woman, were also allegedly assaulted by the same group, police said. The victims were reportedly slapped and, in some cases, allegedly struck with plastic rods.

Videos purportedly showing the brawl have since surfaced on social media, with the footage showing people involved in a physical altercation at the popular tourist destination. Police have taken cognisance of the incident and launched an investigation.

Haveli police station inspector Rajesh Ramaghare said teams had been deployed to trace the accused. “We have launched a search to apprehend the eight accused, including three women. Further investigation is underway,” he said.

Police are also examining the circumstances surrounding the clashes and the allegations made by the tourists.

– Ends

Published By:

Priyanka Kumari

Published On:

Aug 18, 2026 21:35 IST

SOURCE :- TIMES OF INDIA