Source : ABC NEWS

Five Sydney Swans players who were stood down for the rest of the season over breaches of club standards have issued an apology to their club, fans and the wider community.
In a statement on behalf of Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner, the players said they were “deeply sorry to everyone involved”.
The players were banned by the Swans for breaches of standards and expected behaviour after they stayed out late drinking and brought women back to the team hotel after the game against Essendon on Sunday night.
“We know that our behaviour has fallen well short of the standards expected of us and the values of our club,” they said.
The five said that they accepted the club’s sanction and apologised for the impact on those involved.
Earlier in the day, the Swans said their willingness to “torpedo” their AFL season by suspending the five star players proved their commitment to upholding standards at the club.
In addition to the club sanction, the five Swans players will not be considered for All Australian selection, according to the AFL.
“Following the decision and appropriate club sanction imposed by the Sydney Swans today in relation to the conduct of five of their players, the AFL has determined those players will not be considered for selection in the 2026 All Australian squad,” the league said in a statement.
“This decision is independent of the ongoing Victoria Police investigation.”
Loading…
Victorian detectives head to NSW
Victorian sex crime detectives are expected to travel to New South Wales as they investigate the alleged incident.
The ABC understands the investigation centres on an allegation of touching without consent at the Pullman Hotel in the early hours of Monday morning.
It is understood the alleged victim has spoken to police.
Multiple law enforcement sources have told the ABC that four officers from the Victoria Police Sex Crimes Squad will land in Sydney as they expand their investigation.
Police have not made any arrests or laid charges over the alleged incident.
It is not suggested that any of the players are being accused of sexual assault, and none of the banned players has been formally interviewed by police, according to the club.
Sponsors speak out
Telstra has spoken out, saying it was “deeply concerned by what’s been reported” and respected that the matter was being investigated by police.
“Players assisting police with their investigation who are also Telstra ambassadors are not participating in any ambassador activity while the investigation is ongoing,” a Telstra spokesperson said.
“We will review their ambassador arrangements once the investigation is complete and will provide an update at that time.”
It is understood that Heeney and Warner have both been Telstra ambassadors.
Swans sponsors QBE came out in support of the club’s actions.
“QBE acknowledges the seriousness of the allegations that have been reported,” a spokesperson said today.
“We have no tolerance for conduct that compromises the safety, dignity or wellbeing of others and we support the club’s position in condemning all forms of abuse and disrespectful behaviour towards women.
“Given there is an active police investigation it would be inappropriate for us to comment any further.”
Another club sponsor, realestate.com.au, also responded, saying they were “deeply concerned about the serious allegations involving several Sydney Swans players”.
“We are aware there are investigations currently being conducted by the relevant authorities and await the findings of those investigations,” a company spokesperson said.

