Source :- THE AGE NEWS
Alastair Clarkson is leading North Melbourne’s efforts to woo contracted – but out-of-favour – Adelaide defender Nick Murray, who has two years left on his current deal.
Finding a solution in the key posts down back is viewed as one of the final pieces in the improving Kangaroos’ list build. They have zeroed in on Murray, whose Crows teammate Jordon Butts is tipped to exercise his free-agency rights to sign with the Western Bulldogs.
Essendon’s injury-riddled defender Jordan Ridley, who has played only 26 times across the past three seasons, is also on North’s radar, and there is a scenario where they pursue both him and Murray.
Ridley is contracted until the end of the 2029 season, but explored a move to the Brisbane Lions last year and wants a fresh start to see if a rival club can solve his injury woes.
A third Adelaide tall defender who was attracting interest, James Borlase, re-signed for three years on Monday, while they have also prioritised Josh Worrell, Mark Keane and Max Michalanney.
Clarkson, who typically takes an active role in recruitment, has spoken with Murray, two sources familiar with the situation and granted anonymity to speak more freely on a player movement matter told this masthead.
Murray played the first seven games of the year for the Crows’ senior side, but only four of the next 14, including playing back-to-back matches only once since.
The 25-year-old’s younger brother, Toby, is also at Adelaide, while another sibling, Sam, played at Sydney and Collingwood.
Murray extended for three more seasons in December 2024 until the end of 2028, which complicates his situation, but there is a strong chance he will request a trade. However, his contract status – even though he has been a fringe team member this year – means a club may need to part with a decent draft pick to get him.
The Roos have already signed Charlie Comben to a six-year extension until 2033 and developing defender Wil Dawson for two more seasons as they map out what their backline might look like in the years ahead.
Cam Zurhaar has also made a successful switch from the forward line to a defensive interceptor this season.
Aidan Corr is 32 years old and does not have a deal beyond the 2026 campaign, while fellow veteran Griffin Logue’s contract expires next year and Luke McDonald inked a one-year contract this month.
Smaller defenders Riley Hardeman and Cooper Harvey are also out of contract at season’s end. Hardeman has had a two-year offer in front of him for months, but negotiations are set to ramp up this week.
Focus on Duursma again
It is not the first time Zane Duursma’s name has swirled in trade circles.
The No.4 pick in the 2023 draft was always viewed as a high-level talent, but has struggled to make his mark across 38 games, averaging seven disposals and less than a goal a match. He has predominantly played as a forward in the AFL after mixing his time between the midfield and attack as a junior.
Duursma is recovering from season-ending shoulder surgery and is not expected to make a call on his future before North Melbourne’s final game on Sunday against Sydney.
Essendon have long been keen on uniting Duursma with his older brother Xavier at Tullamarine, and the Kangaroos’ interest in Ridley could present an opportunity.
However, it is unclear what Ridley’s trade value is, given his significant injury history and contract status. One industry source told this masthead that Duursma was no longer worth a first-round selection on the open market, particularly because he is out of contract.
Melbourne, who were interested in Bailey Humphrey before he extended his contract at Gold Coast, are another potential suitor for Duursma.
The Demons are set to be one of the most aggressive clubs this off-season, having also registered their interest in Hawk Calsher Dear, who is being chased by more than one Victorian club.
Blankety Blancks
The Demons’ aggression does not extend towards forgotten Hawthorn defender James Blanck, but the 25-year-old does have several clubs monitoring his performances at Box Hill as he comes out of contract at season’s end.
Blanck has not played an AFL game since 2023, given he suffered an ACL injury in the 2024 pre-season. But he has plied his trade in the VFL since returning early last season and is considered a potential option for clubs seeking defensive depth.
At 196 centimetres and with a competitive streak, he is considered a potential low-cost option for clubs.
Tasmania’s levers
Tasmania will have the option of pre-listing players who are overlooked in next year’s mid-season draft, and then trade the rights to them ahead of the 2027 national draft.
The option will give the club another lever to pull as they attempt to build a competitive list in 2028 that sets them up for sustainable success.
It means, for example, the Devils would have been able to pre-list Werribee forward Brady Wright ahead of this year’s draft and trade the rights to him if they were taking part in this year’s national draft.
Wright, who has kicked 45 goals in 2026, is a chance to be selected within the first 30 picks at the upcoming national draft, having kicked 32 goals since the mid-season draft was held in late May.
The Giants pre-listed Jamie Elliott and Luke Brown heading into the 2011 national draft, with Collingwood and Adelaide then snapping them up. The Magpies traded pick No.25 to secure Elliott and the Crows’ trade for Brown was tied up in Phil Davis’ exit and the mini-draft.
The Devils remain optimistic a handful of AFL-listed players will commit to being part of the inaugural list in 2028 by the end of this year, while they will also land at least half a dozen 17-year-olds ahead of the draft.
Keep up to date with the best AFL coverage in the country. Sign up for the Real Footy newsletter.



