Home NATIONAL NEWS Deepika Padukone ‘would never collaborate’ with Sandeep Reddy Vanga, claims source

Deepika Padukone ‘would never collaborate’ with Sandeep Reddy Vanga, claims source

5
0

Source : INDIA TODAY NEWS

Actor Deepika Padukone’s decision to exit Spirit in April 2025 has resurfaced in August 2026, with a source close to the developments saying she met director Sandeep Reddy Vanga only once, did not receive a full narration, and would never work with him. The row around the Prabhas-starrer flared up again this week after producer Pranay Reddy Vanga claimed that one of the reasons for her exit was a demand for profit share.

advertisement

Deepika never seriously considered the film, as reported by Hindustan Times, citing a source close to the developments.

The source said, “Deepika Padukone has met Sandeep Reddy Vanga all of once in her life. Not to mention, the filmmaker arrived a whole hour late to the meeting! Deepika took the rest of the meeting professionally.”

“In the meeting, only a one-liner of the film was shared. She didn’t receive a full narration of the film. Deepika never commits to a project without receiving a full narration. So, Spirit was never a part of Deepika’s consideration set to begin with,” the source added.

The source also highlighted that Deepika has no inclination to work with the filmmaker, adding, “Sandeep Reddy Vanga is the kind of filmmaker Deepika Padukone would never collaborate with, given his misogynist nature — one that is evident not only in his off-screen persona but in his movies too.”

Deepika was in talks with Sandeep for Spirit featuring Prabhas last year. In April, it emerged that she had exited the project. She had reportedly asked for a fixed eight-hour workday as a new mother, a demand that was not met by the film’s production.

The producers of Kalki 2898 AD also announced her exit from the sequel through a post on X, sparking online debate around professionalism, work-hour limits and remuneration in high-budget projects.

After reports emerged that Triptii Dimri would replace Deepika in Spirit, it was also claimed that Deepika left the film because she was uncomfortable with certain intimate scenes.

At that point, Sandeep shared an angry message on X, seemingly directed at Deepika. He wrote in May 2025, “When I narrate a story to an actor, I place 100% faith. There is an unsaid NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) between us. But by doing this, you’ve ‘DISCLOSED’ the person that you are…. Putting down a Younger actor and ousting my story? Is this what your feminism stands for (sic)?”

The controversy erupted again this past week after Pranay, Sandeep’s brother, said one of the reasons for Deepika’s exit was her demand for a 10% profit share in the film. Speaking with NTV Telugu, Pranay Reddy Vanga said, “The reason is the same as what was already mentioned. One was remuneration, the second was timing. Apart from that, there are some other reasons, too. Soon after, everything went overboard.”

advertisement

“See, she can ask for anything. If we are willing to give, we can give. But the economics should also work out for us. We thought that it was not working. This is why we thought of other options. Once we started looking for other options, they started leaking everything,” he added.

On Friday, Deepika liked a post on Instagram that criticised Sandeep and Pranay for their stance and praised the actor for asking for “what men routinely get” in the industry. The exchange added fresh attention to an issue that had already triggered wider discussion in the industry.

Triptii was eventually cast as the film’s female lead opposite Prabhas, and the first look featuring the two actors was unveiled on New Year’s Day 2026. The film also features actors Vivek Oberoi and is set for a theatrical release on March 5, 2027.

Deepika, meanwhile, has King with Shah Rukh Khan lined up for release in December, followed by Atlee’s Raaka opposite Allu Arjun next year.

– Ends

Published By:

Anurag Bohra

Published On:

Aug 22, 2026 23:35 IST

SOURCE :- TIMES OF INDIA