Home Sports Australia Sydney Swans to face fans in first game at SCG since scandal...

Sydney Swans to face fans in first game at SCG since scandal emerged

3
0

Source :- PERTH NOW NEWS

A Labor MP has doubled down on criticism of the Sydney Swans’ handling of sexual assault allegations, saying the club’s initial language “minimised” the wellbeing of the alleged victims.

Players Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner were stood down this week for breaching the club’s standards on drinking and staying out late after last Sunday’s win against Essendon in Melbourne.

The Swans will face their fans at home at the SCG on Sunday afternoon in their first game since the scandal broke last Monday in a historic double-header with the club’s AFLW team.

Sydney is second on the ladder and has secured two home finals, but many angry fans are threatening to walk out after the AFLW game.

Five Sydney Swans players have been stood down for the rest of the year for breaching club standards after a sexual assault allegation is investigated. Credit: NewsWire

The club’s actions in banning the five players from playing for the rest of the year is separate to the police investigation.

Victoria Police have confirmed its sexual crimes squad is investigating “reports of a sexual assault” at the Pullman Hotel on Monday.

The club said on Saturday none of its players had been formally interviewed by police.

NewsWire does not suggest that any of the named players are being accused of sexual assault.

Remarks made by the club earlier in the week sparked backlash from advocates for centring the players, their careers and the upcoming AFL final, instead of the alleged victim in their language.

‘Sydney, Sydney’

A week mired in scandal for the Sydney Swans did not deter many fans who lined up before gates opened, to get priority seats in the Ladies and Members stand, primarily, for the inaugural AFLW/AFL double header.

Fans decked proudly in their red and white steadily streamed through the famous gates giving some hope that breaking the Swans’ record AFLW crowd of 8264 may be possible, despite the headlines that plagued the lead-up.

By the early stages of the first quarter, the crowd had grown significantly from the hundreds into the thousands with large pockets of supporters, scattered across the ground, who also found their voice in support of their girls chanting “Sydney, Sydney”.

The AFLW side entered the SCG to the loud cheers of a small but vocal crowd with fans creating a guard of honour for their heroes before they proceeded through the banner.

Before the game, Swans chairman Andrew Pridham addressed the club’s official AFLW function, apologising again and promising a review into the club’s culture.

“We do not excuse their behaviour. We do not ignore the impact it has had on so many people – and in particular women,” Pridham said.

“But we will seek to learn, to get better, to do better and show forgiveness.”

Swans’ initial response criticised

On Sunday, Labor MP Josh Burns became the latest politician to call out the Swans’ initial response

On Wednesday, chief executive Matthew Pavlich and chair Andrew Pridham fronted the media.

Pridham initially noted the impact on the football side was not considered by the board when it met on Tuesday night to decide the sanction.

However, he later emphasised the club’s disappointment and concern by pointing out its willingness “to effectively torpedo our season”.

Swans chair Andrew Pridham and chief executive Matthew Pavlich addressed the media on Wednesday. Picture: NewsWire/ Gaye Gerard.
Swans chair Andrew Pridham and chief executive Matthew Pavlich addressed the media on Wednesday. NewsWire/ Gaye Gerard. Credit: News Corp Australia
Josh Burns says the AFL must acknowledge its role in setting an example for young Australian boys and men. Picture: NewsWire / Martin Ollman
Josh Burns says the AFL must acknowledge its role in setting an example for young Australian boys and men. NewsWire / Martin Ollman Credit: News Corp Australia

Mr Burns said “the primary concern for everyone” should be the welfare of the women at the centre of the allegations.

He said the AFL was a “very powerful” institution which had the responsibility and the influence to “set culture”.

“The culture from the AFL feeds into community sport. It feeds into the national conversation,” Mr Burns said on Sunday.

“It feeds into the way and the attitudes of men and boys right around the country.

“So the focus of everyone from the very moment that these shocking allegations came forward … needs to be on ensuring that women and girls are safe, not the football finals, not minimising it with language, not minimising it with … the sorts of conversation and the sorts of statements we’ve seen, but actually making it clear that the culture and the views of people at the top are ones of zero tolerance.”

Mr Burns pointed to a “correction” made by the Swans in its language around the alleged sexual assault but said he would not “congratulate” the club for “realising the focus … should have been on the alleged victims, not footy finals or footy games”.

Swans coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills issued an apology on Friday. Picture: NewsWire / Nadir Kinani
Swans coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills issued an apology on Friday. NewsWire / Nadir Kinani Credit: News Corp Australia

“The work that we all need to do is ensure that those who are in positions of leadership and power set the culture and the tone to make sure that we are all focusing on what’s appropriate,” he said.

On Friday, Swans team coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills issued an apology, saying their thoughts remained “with everyone affected, particularly the women involved”.

“All women deserve to feel safe and respected,” they said.

More to come

If you or someone you know needs help, contact 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732), or Sexual Assault Counselling Australia on 1800 211 028 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.